24 July 2010

Fall 2010 RTW update

It is so good to be back! I feel like I am in sewing and blogger withdrawl..I haven't done much of either lately and Shawn and I have more traveling planned so it may be awhile before I get back into my regular routine. The trip to Edinburgh was wonderful, although I am a bit disappointed that I didn't come away with any vintage finds. There are several great shops around the city, but Shawn's idea of a perfect day does not include digging though rooms filled with racks and stacks of vintage clothing (but he was a good sport scoping them out with me)..guess I'll have to plan another trip with like minded people!

Anyway, I caught up on my fashion reading, and wanted to share something interesting..retro is back on the runway (and we're talking full-on 50's and 60's retro here)! Fall 2010 is all about real, wearable clothing, and you can see it by the huge shift to lower hemlines and heels. No more crotch-skimming, abdomen crushing dresses or sky-high, foot fracturing heels..demure yet elegant, lady-like sensibility is (FINALLY) creeping in. This is probably best reflected in the Louis Vuitton collection, where just about every design has a retro 50's vibe:









LOVES IT!!

Lately Prada has been a bit too crazy for my taste, but this season they have gone back to what even Muiccia Prada calls "normal clothes". I'm definetly seeing 60's influence in this collection:







And don't count out Dolce & Gabbana..amid the hot pants and revealing sheers there are quite a few twin-sets and lengthy skirts:






If you're like me and love sewing these styles but aren't always sure how to rock them without looking "dated" or "frumpy," try making them in interesting prints and colors, or try using mixtures of luxe fabrics (ie wool and silk)..don't be afraid to mix textures, that is part of the fun! As far as accessorizing, I say just do what you like..that's what makes it unique! I personally feel you can't go wrong with a pair of killer heels (not necessarily high, but statement heels that may not always match) and some bold jewellery.
So get to it girls..this is our season to shine (and show why we've always known best)!!
View the full collections at style.com

1 comment:

  1. I love the LV fall collection, that runway show was so inspiring. Have you seen the latest Vogue (America)? They had a '50s inspired editorial with Natalia Voidinova & Ewan Mcgregor, and they used the LV leather skirt- breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete