25 April 2010

London buying trip

The day after my pattern drafting class ended, I returned to London with Shawn for a mini “holiday.” He was there on business, I was there on pleasure! My instructor gave us the Saint Martins student supplier list (with all of the best shops to go for fabric and trimmings – I think it may be worth more than gold) so I spent the week scouting them out and building up my stash. Let me just say, I have never seen more beautiful and strange fabrics in my life! I picked up some cheap chiffons, habotoi, and a waterproof fabric with an interesting texture, but I’m only going to feature the crème de la crème of my buying trip; I promise it will not disappoint!

First up, this interesting 97% cotton/3% elastane print I found:


It is heavier and stiffer than I would have liked (I originally wanted it for a dress), but I couldn’t resist the print so I went ahead and bought it and think I will use it for a lightweight summery rain-type jacket.


After 2 trips to Liberty and about 2 hours debating, I finally settled on this Classic Carline cotton lawn:

All of their fabric is high quality and they have some of the best prints, but it is very dear (£19.95/m (~ $30/m) for cotton lawn, £35.95/m (~$56/m) for silk satin). I’ve got a vintage dress pattern in mind for this and I know it will look great with my red heels!


And finally, my favorites! All of these are haute couture fabrics from Italy, and they were worth every penny because they are absolutely stunning. Upon seeing each of these, it was one of those “I have to have it” moments..luckily the husband approved..

100% cotton lawn flower/zebra print:

100% silk chiffon in same print:

100% silk satin fur print (I love how it looks so real!!):

I have no idea what I am going to do with the flower prints (any suggestions?), but the fur print is going to become my Navy Ball gown. I don’t know the design yet, but I’ve got plenty of time to mull it over.


Although I didn’t buy this silk, I feel I should include it because it is just so beautiful..(you can tell it’s a Valentino!)

I ended up coming back with a lot of fabric to keep me busy, but I am already dreaming (and saving up) for my next buying trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment