06 April 2010

Pattern Review Vogue 1129




Pattern DescriptionUnlined, fitted jacket with pockets, drape, two piece sleeves and topstitch trim, above mid-knee length.


Fabric UsedShell: 100% wool tweed from Gorgeous Fabrics
Lining: Bremsilk cupro


Pattern SizingI made size 12 because it was described as being fitted, and I knew I might want to wear it over sweaters.


Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes it looks exactly like the photo, but mine is very drapey because the wool I used was very lightweight.

Were the instructions easy to follow?I thought this jacket was very easy to make, although the collar took some time to work through. It isn’t complicated, but the drape is what makes up the back collar and the way the instructions describe to lay it out and sew were confusing at first, so I had to stop and think about it over a cup of tea. I'm kicking myself because I accidentally deleted the pictures I took of it! But once I understood it continued to be smooth sailing.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
The only thing I don’t like about this pattern is that it isn’t lined.



Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:The pattern calls for topstitching detail and edgestitching in some areas, but I edgestitched everywhere in addition to the topstitching because I think it gave a very neat finish. The jacket is not lined but I decided to line the sleeves because I think it makes a coat/jacket easier to take on or off.
Here is a good tip for finishing cuffs on a garment like this:
Note: this must be done before setting the sleeves
1. Cut the lining about 1 -1.5" shorter than the cuff edge.
2. Line up edges and sew as instructed.
3. Firmly press.
4. Sew about 1" down from the seamline to secure the lining to the shell seam allowance.
5. Trim if necessary.
6. Turn out and admire your work!



I also had to move the placement of the snaps to better suit my bust, and I also did not add the hook and eye (used to hold the drape in place on the shoulder) because I thought it was a bit fussy, and I liked the idea of being able to adjust the drape to change the look.

Conclusion/RecommendationsI really like this design because it is easy to make yet looks very professional and expensive – on the outside – I do think that it should be fully lined on the inside, and the drape should either be self-faced or lined as well. I would like to make it again and experiment with the lining, but it will take some thought because the corners on the edges of the drape are mitered in order to get that sharp point. Also make sure you have enough room to fully lay out the fabric when cutting – the drape is cut on the bias so it takes up a lot of fabric and space (I cut mine out on the floor).

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your review. I saw it on Pattern Review also. I am wondering what you think of this pattern sewing in a Double Ponte Knit. I am thinking more as an everyday coat, not so much outerwear.

    ReplyDelete